The Town Manager issued a fourth Executive Order today, which becomes effective 5pm Thursday March 26th, 2020, and provides directives to Retail and Grocery stores to prevent crowding. The full Executive Order is linked below for ease in reference.
Retail and Grocers must:
- Allow no more than 20% of stated fire capacity in the store at a time, not including employees;
- Require staff to count the number of customers entering and exiting the store and enforce limits;
- Clearly mark 6’ spacing in lines and other high-traffic areas. Stores should consider posting signage or using ropes to direct customers and to limit bottlenecks/encourage flow in high-density areas of stores;
- Designate employees to monitor social distancing and assist customers;
- Maximize space between customers and employees at checkout;
- Designate employee(s) to ensure the cleaning guidelines set by the CDC are followed;
- Discontinue self-serve foods and product sampling; and
- Offer exclusive hours for those in high-risk populations, including seniors, where stores will restrict entrance to maintain 10% of fire capacity.
Larger grocery stores and retailers with more than 25,000 square feet are encouraged to offer pickup and/or delivery options.