The Town continues to monitor the status of EEE in Rhode Island and recommends that residents take the necessary precautions as advised by the RI Department of Health and RIDEM: http://www.health.ri.gov/disease/carriers/mosquitoes/
South Kingstown Parks and Recreation is implementing the following precautionary measures relative to the threat of EEE and outdoor activities in the parks at dusk or after dark. Effective September 12, 2019:
- South Kingstown Recreation Department outdoor youth program schedules (flag football and tennis) have been adjusted to adhere to recommended smart scheduling by RIDOH. Schedule updates will be sent out to participating families.
- Parents – first and foremost should use discretion, and take all precautions as it relates to you and your child’s involvement in outdoor activity. It is ultimately your decision whether to allow your child to participate.
- All Youth Leagues and organizations utilizing town facilities are advised to modify practice and game schedules to end no later than sunset; and be in regular communication with parents and players regarding mandatory precautions noted below. (For interscholastic sports, contact SK School Department.)
- All leagues, programs and organizations utilizing Town outdoor athletic facilities, are required to adhere to personal precautions against mosquitos as advised by RIDOH: Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants and use bug spray. - Use EPA-approved bug spray with one of the following active ingredients: DEET (20-30% strength); picaridin, IR3535; and oil of lemon eucalyptus or paramenthane. Please refer to the RIDOH website for further information: http://www.health.ri.gov/disease/carriers/mosquitoes/
- League organizers, parents and coaches shall enforce precautionary measures by checking all players at the start of practices or games to ensure that they are wearing protective covering; and have applied bug repellent.
- NOTE: For those involved in Town-administered youth programs (Flag Football and Tennis Lessons), if you decide not to have your child continue participation in these programs due to the program schedule, please contact the Recreation Department at 789-9301 by September 20th, and you will be issued a full refund. For all other leagues and organizations, please contact the league directors to discuss options.
- All questions related to South Kingstown interscholastic athletic program scheduling should be directed to the South Kingstown School Department
- As the status of the EEE situation is updated at the state level, the Parks and Recreation Department may take steps to adjust operating hours of outdoor facilities, which could have further impact on late afternoon and evening schedules. Please check the Town website and Facebook page for updates.