Town Clerk’s Office Closed Please be advised that the Town Clerk’s Office will be closed for mandatory training between 1pm and 2:30pm on Monday, December 11, 2023. Any pressing items may be dropped off and picked up at a later time that day. Read on...
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARINGS Read on...
The Town Clerk's Office is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Please note that appointments are required to apply for marriage licenses. Please call 401-789-9331 ext. 1230 to schedule an appointment.
Documents can be mailed to this office or left in the drop box at the main entrance to the Town Hall after business hours. Please do not send cash. We will process requests as they are received and mail items back to you. The Town Clerk's Office accepts cash or checks only for in-office transactions. Credit cards are not accepted.
The mission of the Town Clerk’s Office is the timely, efficient, and accurate processing, according to applicable state and local laws, of documents preserving past and present vital information required to ensure a sound-functioning government while being ever mindful of neutrality and impartiality, rendering equal, courteous service to all.
The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for providing a number of services to the public. The Office consists of six major divisions: Town Council Records, Land Records Registry, Board of Canvassers, Registry of Vital Statistics, Probate Court, and Business Licenses. The following are included duties.
Town Council Records
- Document all transactions of the Town Council.
- Manage Town Board and Commission Appointments.
- Prepare Agendas and Minutes for Town Council meetings.
Land Records Registry
- Provide certified copies of land records.
- Record all land records, maps, and transactions.
Board of Canvassers
- Administer all national, state, and local elections, including budget referendums, in accordance with Federal Law, State Law, and the Town of South Kingstown’s Town Charter.
- Election preparation and administration.
- Manage the application process for absentee and emergency ballot voting.
- Preparation and maintenance of all Town voting records, including additions, address/name/party changes, and removals.
- Prepare Agendas and Minutes for Canvassing Authority meetings.
- Process all new voter applications.
- Respond to requests from Candidates and political parties for up to date voter information.
- Review and reconcile election returns after election.
Registry of Vital Statistics
- Issue and record marriage licenses (Note: appointment required to obtain a marriage license). For information on How To Obtain a Marriage License in Rhode Island, click here. You may also download the Marriage Application Worksheet.
- Register and issue certified records associated with births, deaths, and marriages.
Accept, review and schedule for hearing, all petitions filed in association with the administration of an estate or appointment of a guardian of residents of the Town.
Accept, review, and schedule for Town Council approval applications for new and renewal of various business licenses in accordance with State Law and Town Ordinances.
- Act as staff liaison to the Saugatucket Veterans’ Memorial Commission.
- Issue Dog and Kennel Licenses.
- License Boat Moorings.
- Maintain, index, and store records related to the above functions.
- Offer easy access by the public and Town staff.
- Process Animal Control fines.
- Provide assistance to other departments for special research projects as needed.
- Provide notary services.
- Provide safe, permanent storage of Town records, both in the record vault and at a secure site off premises.
- Receive and respond to all Town Council related public records requests.
- Receive, record, and issue documents related to the above functions.
- Town Clerk serves as Clerk to the Town Council, the Probate Court, and the Canvassing Authority.
- Town Clerk serves as the filing coordinator, acting as the liaison between the Town and Secretary of State to ensure that each Board, Committee, and Commission complies with the Open Meetings Law.