Route 1 Stewardship Plan Development Committee
Thu Jul. 14
Thu Aug. 11
Thu Sep. 8
The Route 1 Stewardship Plan Development Committee is an “ad hoc” (special purpose) body of the Town whose mission is to develop a Stewardship Plan for the Route 1 corridor in South Kingstown in order to protect and preserve the scenic character and intrinsic qualities of this State-designated Scenic Roadway. The Stewardship Plan will help to preserve, protect, and promote the historical, recreational, cultural, and scenic attributes of Route 1 while recognizing the primary transportation role of the highway. The Plan may, if the Committee chooses, identify future regulatory amendments the Town may enact to assist in achieving this purpose.
Route 1 Stewardship Plan Development Committee Charge
The primary charge of the Committee is to develop and recommend to the Town Council a Stewardship Plan for the Route 1 Corridor that includes:
- Developing goals and policies that focus on preserving the scenic qualities that contribute to a positive sense of place and that protect and maintain the scenic character of Route 1.
- Exploring potential changes that could impact the character of Route 1, including abutting residential and commercial land uses, with a focus on improved aesthetics, reduction on visual clutter, limitations on signage, and suggesting standardized signage designs.
- Identifying and encouraging design improvements within the boundary of the State right-of-way, including the design of lighting, guardrails, use of native landscaping within medians, and a desire for green infrastructure over traditional stormwater management techniques.
- Reviewing maintenance practices within the boundaries of the State right-of-way for Route 1 and provide suggestions for RIDOT consideration to help achieve objectives identified within the Plan.
- Addressing the roles and responsibilities for units of government and other stakeholders with regard to the stewardship of Route 1. This may include identification of possible areas for future regulatory amendments within the Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision and Land Development Regulations to further achieve the objectives identified within the Plan.
- Promoting public appreciation for the historic, natural, recreational, and scenic resources within the Route 1 Corridor that, in turn, generates support for the preservation and stewardship of those resources.
The Route 1 Stewardship Plan Development Committee shall cease to exist upon adoption of the Stewardship Plan by the Town Council.
Maria H. Mack, Planning Board representative
Larry Fish, Economic Development Committee representative
J. Vernon Wyman, Conservation Commission representative
Jenn Judge, Bicycle-Pedestrian Advisory Commission representative
Karen J. Asher, South Kingstown Land Trust representative
Leslie A. Chouinard
Myrna C. George
Hope Drury Leeson
Jill E. Sabo
Karen Marie Votava